Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Daddy Daughter Days

One of the fears of changing industries was figuring out a new schedule and how it would affect my time with the girls.  I was already working pretty ridiculous hours at my previous employer, so I welcomed the change.  I knew my new job could still have odd and brutal hours which sucks with a new family

The odd hours also came with a few benefits.

For example, I didn't have to be into work at 6:30 (yeah that is AM) each day which was worth the price of admission alone.  We're lucky to have two of the best morning babies ever.  They literally wake up smiling, and I've been missing it for the last few months because of my work schedule.  Instead I had to settle for pictures from Erin which never capture them as well.  Now I get mornings to play with them and do breakfast on my late days and be one of the first faces they see every morning on my early days.  It reminds me why I'm going to work in the first place when I see their smiling faces every morning.

I also learned coming in that I’d have Thursdays off.  This may seem like a small benefit.  I’d still only get my two days off per week and lose one of my weekend days.  Seems like a wash, but it really isn’t.  A day off in the middle of the week is like gold for a new dad.  It means one less day of paying for child care.  It means being off on a day when normal business is being conducted.  But most importantly, it means a day spent with my girls all to myself.

This of course means that Thursday will quickly become my new favorite day of the week (right after Sunday since that will be an all-family day).

So every week I’ll be posting what I did on Thursday with my girls.  I’m sure I’ll be including more pictures than you can handle.  Some weeks will probably be boring because I’m not the world’s most exciting guy.  More often than not, I prefer rolling around on the floor with my girls to just about anything else.  But I’ll try to make an effort to do something different each week for the sake of my readers and my sanity.

So starting tomorrow I'll be keeping track of what Grace, Ana and I do each week on our day off and posting it here every Thursday evening.  Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoy the time I have with them.

No comments: