Thursday, September 15, 2011

Daddy Daughter Days

Welcome to the first installment of Daddy Daughter Days.

This is week two at my new job, so this is the second week of having Thursday off with the girls.  Last week wasn't too exciting.  I just hung out with the girls, and it was amazing.  But it wouldn't make for a very good read.

This week we actually had some junk to do.

The morning is always the best part of my day.  I've always been a morning person.  When I was a little kid, I would put myself to bed at night and be up early every morning.  That has stuck with me as I've grown up.  In fact I oftentimes don't even need to set my alarm in the morning because I'm usually up before it even goes off.  I'm also always in a good mood in the morning.  And I don't even drink coffee to get myself into my normal chipper mood.

It would seem that my girls have taken after me in this regard.  They are a joy in the morning.  They smile and laugh.  They are ready to play and explore from the moment their eyes open.  They spend their early mornings in our bedroom playing on the floor, climbing on the bathtub and trying to trap us in the shower.  Even if I wasn't a morning person, they would've made me one.

After breakfast we play in the living room a.k.a. where all the toys are kept.  We love rolling around on the floor and playing in the living room.  Although I'm still trying to get the songs that play on the electronic toys they are now obsessed with out of my head.

I tried to watch some TV, but recently that has become a bad idea.  The girls can now reach the DVR, and they love to change the channels.  They've also started to record whatever I may be watching right then.

We try to stick to a routine.  The girls always nap in the mid to late morning, and I wouldn't dare break that routine.  But after naps is the time for adventures and getting stuff done.  Today we went to get Erin's ring cleaned and pick up some groceries.

I think that the lady at Jared wanted me to play a practical joke on Erin.  She finished cleaning the ring and asked if I needed a travel case to bring it home.  Of course I wanted it.  I didn't want to lose it on the way home.  But she was all out of travel cases and gave me an actual ring box.  For a second I thought about faking Erin out and telling her that I got her something special.  Wasn't worth it.

We also had to go to the grocery store.  Mostly we needed propane since we went to grill veggies the other night and it was empty.  Now I'm never going to be accused of being a good planner, but I must say that I had a little stroke of genius today.  I wasn't sure how long the ring cleaning was going to take, but I knew that it might run into bottle time.  So I had bottles ready to go which I fed them with while sitting in the car in the grocery store parking lot.  I sat in the back seat in between the car seats and fed them both before getting groceries.  I rule!

You don't seem to buy as much crap that you don't need when you have to load it all up in the stroller.  The car also gets crowded very quickly on a grocery trip.  But the girls and I worked our tetris-like magic and made sure everything fit along with the stroller.

The day ended with a trip to the park.  Erin got home early, so we decided to go play on the swings.  We loaded Grace and Ana up back to back, and they fit perfectly in the swing.  They also LOVED it.  They were giggling and squealing.  We took about 100 pictures.  Erin even took video with her phone.  The best was when we loaded them up next to each other in separate swings.  They couldn't help but look over at each other and laugh each time their swings passed each other.  I guess kids just love swings.  Now I know why every park and jungle gym has them.

Erin had a Moms Night Out with her twin group, so I had to do bath and bottle time alone.  There of course aren't any pictures of that because I still lack that third hand to take pictures.  My attention is squarely on Ana trying to climb out of the tub or Grace trying to eat as many bubbles as possible.  And don't even get me started on trying to corral them while they're wrapped in their towels crawling on the floor.  It is equal parts fun, frustrating and adorable.  But they went down like angels after it was all said and done.

It was a great day all around.  I can't wait until next Thursday!

1 comment:

erin - mutterings of eringirl said...

Aw! You are a great dad. Although I am not sure being prepared with bottles is quite "genius" status, I do commend the forethought. We are all lucky to have you. I love that you and the girls get to have your own day together.