Saturday, October 6, 2012

30 by 30: Snowboarding

It's been over 10 years since I last went skiing in the snow.  Probably closer to 15 years if I'm being 100% honest.

This has nothing to do with being in the snow.  I love the snow.  Love it.  I lived in Colorado for two years and not once did I complain about a snowstorm.  There may not be a more beautiful sight in nature than fresh snow in the morning.

So why haven't I skied or bothered to learn how to snowboard in that time?  Hard to say.  Erin has been a snowboarder for a large chunk since we've been together, but I've never had the desire to learn.  I think a good portion of it has to do with how expensive it can be to start.  From equipment and lessons to lift tickets, it just isn't a cheap pastime.  I could read a book in the morning while she was snowboarding and snowshoe or do other snow activities with her when she got back.

It was cheaper and less taxing to not learn.  But I did miss out on spending time with my wife and her family when they would go hit the slopes which started to gnaw at me.  I hate missing out on a part of life simply because I didn't want to pay for it.  I think spouses should share interests because husbands and wives that do stuff together usually have a stronger relationship.

So it didn't happen in the last year, but I guarantee it will happen this winter.  I just love the snow too much to not at least try.

In fact I plan on passing my love affair with snow onto our daughters this winter.  We haven't had a chance to go up to Tahoe/Truckee since they were born.  I have a feeling that they will love the snow.  Well I think that they'll be afraid of it at first, but they'll fall in love with it.

STATUS: COMING THIS WINTER

No comments: