Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sleeping Beauties

I don’t think there is anything more beautiful or peaceful than my daughters sleeping.  Sure there are contenders to the throne like when they give me a huge smile after I walk in the door after a long day at work or when they belly laugh or giggle when I’m playing with them.  Those are great too, but nothing compares to Grace or Ana falling asleep, head on my shoulder, hands on my chest or arm and in a perfect position to kiss their forehead and listen to them breathe.

Apparently they have picked up on their dad’s love of holding them while they sleep because they invariably are out whenever I feed them at night.  We do bottles before they go to bed at night.  It’s something we’ve done from the beginning because they’ve had a supplement of Neosure from day one to give them those extra calories and get their weight up (something that is obviously working since they were actually on the chart the last time we had an appointment).  Erin and I switch off who we feed each night, but she is convinced that I have some sort of magical calming power since no matter who I’m feeding is always out first.  No matter what position they are in.

I’m not complaining because I love my sleeping girls.  I just think it is high comedy when they fall asleep with the bottle still in their mouth or mid-burp.  When they fall asleep, they fall hard.  Especially recently with them moving more and more, on the cusp of crawling and bouncing like a Mexican jumping bean in the jumperoo (which is something Ana just discovered and I’m planning on recording).  They just seem so tuckered out at the end of each day.

I mentioned the other night that I wish that I could sleep in my chair all night while holding either of my girls.  Erin didn’t and doesn’t hesitate to tell me that I should enjoy it while it lasts.  She constantly reminds me that they’re not always going to want to be held or fall asleep in my arms.  I know she is trying to prepare me so I don’t get that dose of disappointment all of sudden, but I don’t want to hear that yet.  I just want to enjoy these moments of peace and knowing that Grace and Ana feel protected and comfortable in their dad’s arms.

1 comment:

Becoming Supermommy said...

Maybe it's Daddy magic. Same phenomena over here with my husband. They would sleep for him so much more easily than they would for me. That changed when they were about six months old, it sort of leveled out. And now it's almost impossible for either of us.

I do miss those days, but not nearly as much as I know M does.