Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Busy Day

Today was a very hectic and busy day.

I got up early to go to work like I always do, but that was only the first portion of my long day.

I left work early because we had the mass and rosary for my great grandma.  There were family members there that I hadn't seen in quite some time which was a nice distraction from the somber parts.  Say what you will about the sadness of a funeral but at least they bring families together.  At least we hear stories from the good ole days.  At least some family and friends got a chance to see the girls for the first time.  It was a great juxtaposition the end of one life and the start of two new ones.

Following that theme of new life, we attended a class at our church to go over Baptism with my sister Lauren and our friend Kevin (who are going to be two of the girls' Godparents).  It was an interesting class.  Erin didn't hesitate to point out that she could have taught it even better.  She wasn't taking anything away from what the very nice couple that taught the class had done, but she did teach a class on Sacraments while she was at Loretto.  You could tell she was holding back her desire to answer every question that they asked.

We got to meet some very nice people that at least have two things in common with us (newborns and religion).  We discussed hopes and dreams for our kids.  We were told to discuss special talents.  I love my girls, but even I think that discussing talents of a four-month old is a little ridiculous.  Um, she is smiling now.  She is a great pooper.  They like to fly like Superman.  Come on!  They're newborns.

One thing that I loved about the night was a guided meditation that we sat through.  I really tried to embrace it, but it was very hard to do.  Instead of the couple guiding the meditation, it was pre-recorded.  I had no problem with that part of it, but it was more the voice.  Imagine if Kip from Napoleon Dynamite was talking you through a meditation about Jesus holding your child.  It took everything in my power not to completely crack up during something that was supposed to be so serious.  In fact its earnestness only made it worse.  It was nice to find that levity after such a long day.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with Jesus all day.  Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a meditation guide.

No comments: