Monday, March 14, 2011

The Gallawa Girls Story - Tracks 17-19

I took a short break on my posts about the mixtape that I made for my beautiful baby girls, but I'm back with part four.  If you're curious about the story so far, go back and read from the beginning or skip ahead to part two or even part three.

This section of the playlist is just all about love for a child.  I've always wanted to be a dad, and these songs are about the responsibilities and joy of being a dad.  So without further ado, here is part four of my series on The Gallawa Girls Story.

17.  Child of Mine - Carol King
My wife would never forgive me if I had left Carol King off this mix.  I was considering going with Where You Lead as an homage to the Gilmore Girls.  Yeah I said it or, more accurately, wrote it.  Gilmore Girls is my all-time guiltiest of guilty pleasures.  In fact I don't even feel guilty about it.  It was just a wonderful show full of pop culture references and rat-ta-tat dialogue that harkens back to Howard Hawks movies.  But I digress.  I didn't choose that song because I look at it as more of a love song.  Child of Mine is really all about how your kids change the way you look at the world.  Their presence alone can paint a new picture for you to see.  I disagree with the line about not needing direction because every child needs guidance, but you do hope that you give them enough of that guidance to strike out on their own.  And I love the message that my children may not have been born in perfect times, but they are the key to making the future better than the present.  It is a very powerful thing that you can teach your kids.  They are the keys to the doors of change.  I hope to instill this in my girls.  And I hope they always know that I'm happy and proud just being their dad.

18.  Daughter - Loudon Wainwright III
For anyone that has seen the movie Knocked Up, this is the song that plays over the end credits.  Don't get me started on that movie.  I'd believe killer robots from outer space before I'd buy that a girl that looks like Katherine Heigl would end up with that stoner schlub like Seth Rogen.  But the movie does remind me that having kids changes us (or should change us).  The song itself is just about as cute as it gets.  I just love the lyrics, and it has a way of getting stuck in your head.  It has become a definite bath time song for obvious reasons (That's my daughter in the water).  I want to do everything for my girls.  I want to teach them everything they know.  I want them to take everything I say to heart.  I'm going to catch them every time they fall.  I know that I'm going to lose every time I fight them; I just don't have a shot.  But there is also a deeper meaning that daughters really need their dads.  They need that strength and protection.  They need guidance and love.  They need me to give them everything I can.  They need me to be filled with pride for all their accomplishments.  Mostly they need me to be there for them, and I will be no matter what, every time.

19.  Father & Daughter - Paul Simon
I love this song.  I love everything about it.  Musically.  Lyrically.  Emotionally.  This is father-daughter wedding dance stuff.  This is the kind of song that should bring a tear to your eye.  If it doesn't, I don't know what to say to you.  There will always be a light that shines on these girls forever.  Its me.  I can't guarantee that there aren't things in this world that will scare them or try to hurt them, but I can be there to protect them.  And I'll never be too far away from them.  I will always stay with them until they aren't scared anymore.  I'll be their big strong protector.  I'll also be there to see them grow up and become their own shining lights.  I can give them the signs and paths to guide them.  I can help them grow and remind them that their daddy will always be there to love them.  Because there are irrevocable truths in this world.  One and one will always equal two.  I will always love Grace and Ana.  In fact there is no one in this world that has loved anyone as much as I love these two little, wonderful girls.  And I'll keep shining on them whether I'm actually with them or just in their hearts.

The fifth and final section is coming tomorrow, so look out for it.

1 comment:

erin - mutterings of eringirl said...

Child of Mine was not a Carole King song I knew very well--great choice. And of course I love "daughter" that song is just fun to sing!