Monday, February 6, 2012

Cleaning Out My Closet

This isn't some reference to Eminem and airing my grievances.

It's a more literal title.

Yesterday Erin and I had a very relaxing Super Bowl Sunday ever.  We went on a walk in the morning with my in-laws.  We pulled some weeds in our front yard.  I finally got a haircut after months of putting it off.  Erin made a buffalo chicken dip which was our big indulgence during the game.  And we watched the Super Bowl in our living room while playing with our girls.

It was fantastic.  We didn't over-eat or drink.  We just relaxed.

After we put the girls down for the night, we ate dinner and folded laundry while watching The West Wing.

Then we decided to start doing some cleaning at 10:30pm.

Erin was on a mission to match every unmatched sock in our house.  She got damn close to 100%.  She also pulled clothes out of both of our closets.  This started as a way to find more socks, but it turned into getting stuff out in the open instead of piled away in our closets.

With all these newly matched socks to fill my dresser drawers and clothes on the bed and floor instead of my closet, I figured it was time to do some reorganization.  It was also a great time to look for potential clothing donations.  So I started cleaning up my drawers and finding stuff in my closet that had to go.  I took all the shoes that we stack up in our laundry room and actually organized them in my closet.  I let go of shirts and other clothing items that I was holding onto for no good reason and filled up 2 garbage bags with donations.

We stayed up until after midnight reorganizing everything.  Our closets and bedroom haven't been this clean since the day we moved in.  It was a great feeling.

The only thing that made it better was the girls going into our closets this morning and not knowing what to do.  There was nothing piled up on the floor to play with, so they exited just as quickly as they had entered.  I guess they'll need to find another pile of clothes to play in.

1 comment:

erin - mutterings of eringirl said...

this closet cleansing and sock matching was therapeutic and mind clearing.

love it