You have to hear me out.
I have my reasons why it sucks as I'm sure you have your reasons why Summer is great.
I actually know quite a few teachers that read this blog and will never agree with this particular sentiment, so I know I'm fighting an uphill battle with those readers. I get it. It's your one extended time off all year after busting your ass for the past 9 months. You've earned it. Trust me. All I'm saying is that if the 3 month vacation came from March to May or from September to November that it could be that much better.
Most non-teachers think about summer romantically. We view it through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. Remembering our misspent youth. Looking back on the long days where the sun didn't go down until the evening. We weren't forced to come in until the streetlights came on, and summer provided those extra few hours to bond and play with our friends without the constraints of school and homework. These were the times when your family went on trips to places like Disneyland or across the country to see new, exciting places.
Nostalgia is a strong thing. Sometimes it can blind us to how awful something really is. I for one look back at television shows or listen to music that I thought was awesome as a kid and realize how truly horrible it is now. Granted it still holds a special place in my heart and I can never truly hate it, but I can see it for what it really is now that I have more discerning taste.
Summer is the same. I think about how great it is until it comes. The middle of baseball season. The Fourth of July. Summer movie season. Summer concerts. All these things contribute to my misdirected adoration. Then a heatwave hits and I remember why it sucks so much.
So here is my list of why Summer can blow me. If you disagree feel free to comment below. This isn't some unquestionable list. I'm trying to start a dialogue here and welcome disagreement.
- It's so damn hot: You know why all the big movies come out in the Summer? People are looking to be inside an air conditioned room even if they have to spend $20 and watch a crappy movie to do it. Cold will always win against heat because you can always put on a coat or grab a blanket when it's cold. There are only so many clothing items you can take off when it's hot before you're getting reported to the cops. And even if you were naked, it still isn't cooling you off completely.
- Bugs: Summer brings out all the annoying bugs. Gnats are everywhere. Mosquitoes are plentiful and hungry. Even when you want to sit outside and enjoy a warm evening with a cool beer, you're under attack. I friggin' hate bugs.
- Sleepless Nights: This is related to the last two topics and it may be more of a personal problem, but the heat always leads to sleepless nights. I find it hard to sleep in warm weather. The girls don't go down as easy when it's hot outside. This means I'm always exhausted throughout the day which in turn makes it difficult to sleep again the following night. It's a vicious cycle. Not only that, but the aforementioned mosquito bites leave you itchy and uncomfortable and thus unable to sleep peacefully.
- It's more expensive: We are by no means made of money. Hence the hot, sleepless nights instead of running our AC overnight for preferred comfort. But air conditioning can't be avoided in the Summer especially in our area. It just gets too hot to not run it. I don't want to put my daughters in danger of heat stroke because I'm too cheap, so the AC will run intermittently throughout the day. The thing is it isn't just the air conditioning driving up the utility bill every month. We also have a water bill to worry about, so we watch that spike in the Summer because we have to water our lawn and plants more often or use the hose as a way to cool our kids off.
- No good television: We spend most of the Summer watching Giants games in the evening, but there are no great options when it comes to regular television. Sure Summer is meant to spent outdoors, but I suggest you scroll back up to reason one and two why Summer sucks. It may be a petty thing to complain about, but it's my blog damnit.
- Gas prices: Every year gas goes through the roof right before Memorial Day, and we deal with those insane gas prices until Labor Day or later. Usually it's the precursor to prices in the coming months. It sucks when a good chunk of your paycheck (because most of us are still working during these horrible months of suckiness) goes to your fuel bill.
- Fat people in revealing clothing: Granted you take a little of the good with the bad here. There are also fit people wearing revealing clothing, but it doesn't ever seem to offset the other, fatter side of that coin. I'm sure that you thought that two-piece was a good idea when you saw it for 40% off at Wal-Mart, but you should really reconsider. It doesn't work on you or for anyone that has to witness it. This ultimately serves as a motivation for me to get off my own ass and work out, so there is some good to be derived from it. Although I also hate working out.